If you follow me on any social media, a recurring post is “It’s a Motown kind of day”. This sentiment doesn’t need adjectives or an explanation…it’s a mood and you Motown (@Motown) lovers will get exactly what this means. Oh what I would give to have been a teenager in the 60’s. However, I was blessed to have a Momma who WAS and who grew up close to the origin city of Detroit where Barry Gordy started Motown records with an $800 loan from his family (Thank you Gordy family! Sincerely, Ally Miller). My mom is too humble to admit it but I always knew she was a cool kid school by the way she sang along and swayed when Motown songs would come on the radio. So Motown HAD to be where the coolness was at J
Smokey Robinson should also receive a special shout out for my Motown days as he was an intrical part of Motown’s success. Not only as a writer but as a musician/artist in the group The Miracles which was followed by a solo career.
Motown recording artists provided me with hours of internal thoughts about my future along with hours of entertainment. Heres some of the songs I enjoyed when I was growing up and still do today. Enjoy the commentary of how I related to these songs as a child. (click on the links if you’re having a Motown kind of day and want to reminisce with your own memories)
- I was pretty sure I was not a “love child” but I could sing this song in the mirror, with attitude, like no one’s business. I was obsessed with The Supremes! There songs defined what love was and could be when it goes wrong, to me. I was often mad at them when they told me I couldn’t hurry love (I loved the idea of being in love when I was little lol).
- I prayed that the universe would, someday, let me have a boyfriend that would send me letters when I get older although I knew I would never beg the Postman to deliever them.
- I think I’m still wondering “What Becomes of the Brokenhearted”???? Man I wish Jimmy Ruffin was on Twitter so I could ask him 😦
- Tracks of My Tears – one of my favorite songs today but as a youth I never understood how you could see the tracks of a man’s tears unless he was wearing make-up…weird. PS) @GavinDeGraw does an awesome cover of this song mused with ‘Cupid’
- How can you not know who The Contours are!? Does “I carried the watermelon” ring a bell…or Patrick Swayze in tight black pants (swoon) dancing completely inappropriately catch on? These links are PG-13 I promise!
- This was my motivational song…now envision the dance move that a child might have to the ‘Reach Out’ sections in this song…probably pretty accurate to how I looked while jamming out lol
- Oh “HOW cool mom that you know the song from Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” LOL ahhhhh to be a parent one day GJWHF version….the REAL version
If you think I am foolish for forgetting to include The Jackson 5…think again…this is my all-time favorite Motown group and I’m reserving a complete blog post just for them!
Of course…this list could go on for days but I thought I’d hold some in my arsenal for when I’m having another “Motown kind of day”. What Motown artists, current or past, do you like to listen to?
(Image via bet.com)